Tags: board, bowel, cage, copy, digestive, disease, drugs, greatly, health, ibs, intestine, medications, pain, realized, rib, stomach

Pain under right rib cage - IBS?

On Health & Drugs & Medications » stomach,intestine & Digestive disease

6,691 words with 7 Comments; publish: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 12:53:00 GMT; (900109.13, « »)

I just realized that there was an IBS board so I just copy/pasted my post from the bowel problems board - any help would be greatly appreciated:

I'm an 18 year old female and since November I've been suffering from a nearly constant pain (or discomfort) under my right rib cage ("under" meaning lower on my abdomen, not beneath) which often spreads to the area between my ribs and occasionally completely across. It also tends to spread down my right side and many times makes me nauseous. It's also at its worst when I wake up in the morning. In addition to this I'm chronically constipated.

I've been to a doctor numerous times and I was first diagnosed with acid reflux, but reflux medication didn't help. I have suffered from IBS for as long as I can remember and now that is what doctors are saying is my problem - has anyone else experienced this pain with IBS? I'm taking the anti-spasmodic Levsin as well as Metamucil, which seems to help with the lower abdominal pain, but I haven't found anything that helps with the upper abdominal pain. I had blood drawn only a few days ago to check for celiac disease among other things, but I haven't heard any results yet.

Does anyone have experience with these symptoms? I really appreciate any help!

~Kate

All Comments

Leave a comment...

• 7 Comments
    • I have heard of many people having this kind of pain.. I however, suffer from pain below the left rib cage, and in the intestinal area below the waist.

Your gallbladder is located in that area, possibly gallstones? It could be a gallbladder problem, I do not know if you have had that checked yet.

Just something to look into.

If you have, and you've had the tests to rule out anything else serious, I would say that it is "normal". Many people on the boards complain of the same kind of pain

#1; Sat, 15 Dec 2007 23:29:00 GMT
    • Kate, I have the same pain. It is mostly on the upper right, under the ribs and also below them near the waist. Sometimes on the left. I also have reflux and switched from Prevacid to Prilosed and that's when it started to hurt. However, I have had this pain before. Last year it was so bad I went to the dr. who sent me for a sonogram immediately. The gallbladder and liver were fine. I went yesterday for blood work and the pain was gone but is back today ALL day, mild at times but I getting scared. My results won't be back until Monday. You're lucky your doctor checked for celiac. Mine didn't but he's not a GI...will go if this keeps up. I also have a lot of gas. Please let me know the results of your tests and hope you feel better.
      #2; Sat, 15 Dec 2007 23:30:00 GMT
    • Thanks, everybody, for your info - it's nice to know that I'm not the only one with this..

Thanks again :)

#3; Sat, 15 Dec 2007 23:31:00 GMT
    • I am almost sure it is gallbladder related. Go see and specialist and get an ultra sound done. I had my gallbladder removed in 2000. Stay away from fatty foods.

Does anyone have experience with these symptoms? I really appreciate any help!

~Kate

#4; Sat, 15 Dec 2007 23:32:00 GMT
    • I have been plagued with this discomfort under my right lower rib cage for years. Last November I had it checked out. I had an ultrasound and was found to have gall stones. Not many, but enough for my Dr. to suggest having my gall bladder removed, which I did. It did not relieve the discomfort and actually made me gassier and somewhat more uncomfortable. Nothing else showed up on the ultra sound and all blood tests were normal.

I have figured out that it may be excess gas that is causing the problem and am in the process of changing my diet to less gassy foods, no more carbonated drinks, drinking through a straw or chewing gum. It may kill me (ha ha) but I'm gonna try it. It will be worth the sacrifice if the discomfort goes away.

#5; Sat, 15 Dec 2007 23:33:00 GMT
    • Dear Kate

I would like to have a small chat with u

would you mine?

Thanks

#6; Sat, 15 Dec 2007 23:34:00 GMT
    • Hi Kate,

I have a little difficulty in understanding the image you are trying to paint. I got lost somewhere in the description of where your pain was.

However, I believe from your description that it is possible that your gall bladder is acting up. I do not believe that it is gall stones though. I believe that if your gall bladder is not putting enough bile into your intestines and hence you are suffering from constipation and a considerable amount of pain.

I believe that if you take a quarter pill of bile salts with your meals that you will be able to overcome the pain in the right side of your ribcage to a certain extent and you will simultaneously reduce your constipation. Bile salts are used by people who have had their gall bladders removed - they can be obtained over-the-counter at drugstores/natural food stores at low prices. I would suggest you try taking a quarter of a pill with your meal to start out with and then adjust the quantity you take after you get a handle on how much you need. Use a pill splitter to divide the pills into four.

I say use a quarter of a pill because bile is very strong. Also, be careful to use it only when you believe you will suffer from constipation. Bile can cause normal stools to become diarrhea and it can considerably worsen diarrhea. Take it only with a meal and not 15 minutes after or before, because it will otherwise not distribute properly in your food and the effect will cause you a great deal of gas.

I hope this works for you.

Cheers, - Raju -